This is something Tanisha would ask me every morning when she was home on maternity leave with the Wee Baby Esther. We both love coffee and after a restless night, it’s usually just what you need to get the day started or maintain sanity. That and a giant plate of bacon.
A few years back, I opted for a french press. I like it because it’s simple to use and you can make killer coffee, figuratively. It’s as good as coffee shop but without the smug barista. Also, I recommend grinding your own coffee. It’s an extra step but definitely worth it. Below, you will find links for both a french press and grinder. I’ve also included the step by step instructions for brewing coffee.
1. Boil water.
2. Grind coffee. Medium coarse is recommended.
3. Add 2 tablespoons of coffee for every 6 ounces of water.
4. Remove boiling water from heat. Let cool 10-15 seconds. Steadily pour water into pot to your desired level.
5. Stir the coffee grounds and water.
6. Add lid and let steep for 4-5 minutes. SET A TIMER! (sorry to yell, but it’s important)
7. Push down plunger with steady pressure.
8. Enjoy your coffee.
UPDATE: And for anyone that wants to discard this advice. Here is a link to a reusable K-Cup filter. This way you can still grind your own beans and it’s less expensive than buying the pre-packaged K-Cups.